Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Gromit's Florida Adventure

As you can see by the colors on this fire hydrant, I took another trip with Marilyn and John. After flying back from Oregon into the remnants of a Christmas blizzard, we spent two days at the Super 8 motel near the Omaha airport waiting for the roads to clear. Then after just two nights at home, we flew to Melrose, Florida to spend some time with John's dad.


Florida, you say? Sunshine and warmth? Think again! Not this year. It was mostly sunny but COLD. Several nights were in the 20s with daytime highs barely reaching the low 40s. BRR. With no central heating, all house occupants were grateful for the wood stove, the propane room size heater, and electric blankets. We did bundle up in every layer we brought for walks - note that all I had was a fleece vest besides my fur! For several walks I traveled in John's pocket.




It was actually hard to find a good spot to take my picture with Florida flora. The light was always tricky but this photo is okay.




This plant was in the yard of a nearby house. Since Marilyn is just about 5' tall, you can see that the leaves are really big! After night temperatures in the high 20s those big leaves just wilted. Just because something is big doesn't prevent it from being wimpy!



Can you believe that Marilyn and John wanted my to meet an alligator? This is more 'up close and personal' than I wanted - until I discovered it wasn't alive! It was stone. Whew!


Have you ever taken a picture of a picture? John did! This is a painting of the Florida house back when it wasn't totally surrounded by trees and bushes. It is virtually impossible to get a photo of the house now! The front of the house is facing left.


We flew back to Omaha and then drove home on January 6 under clear, sunny skies. Oh, did I forget to mention that the temperature was about +5? Still, that was better than what happened the next day - ANOTHER blizzard. That's three major storms since early December. GRR.

1 comment:

  1. I love your Grommet stories and especially the picture in John's pocket. I might just need to go "Grommet" shopping for myself. I would make blogging more fun!

    Glad you are home safe. I'm jealous of your snow, although I don't want as much as you have. Brian might disagree with me. :)

    ReplyDelete